Inch-Murin

   INCH-MURIN, an isle, in the parish of Buchanan, county of Stirling, the largest and most southern of the islands of the loch of Lomond. Its length is about two miles and its breadth one; it is finely wooded, and affords excellent pasture. This isle was the residence of the ancient Earls of Lennox; and at the south end are the ruins of a castle, surrounded by venerable oaks, in which the noble family resided. It is now the property of the Duke of Montrose, and is kept chiefly as a deer-park. In 1793, the late duke built a handsome hunting-seat and offices here, at present occupied by the keeper, who cultivates some ground around the house. From St. Murrin, the tutelary saint of Paisley, the island is said to have derived its name.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Luss —    LUSS, a parish, in the county of Dumbarton; containing 1052 inhabitants, of whom 309 are in the village, 9 miles (N. N. E.) from Helensburgh. The name of this parish is derived from a Gaelic word signifying a plant or herb, and probably… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Dumbartonshire —    DUMBARTONSHIRE, a county, in the west of Scotland, bounded on the north by Perthshire, on the east by the counties of Perth and Stirling, on the south by the Frith of Clyde, and on the west by Argyllshire. It lies between 55° 53 30 and 56° 19… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game — Players 2+ Setup time < 10 minutes Playing time ≈1 hour per 500 points of miniatures (approx.) Random chance Medium High …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.